Minimum Requirements For All Healthcare Workers

For UK Sponsors they want to see

– a minimum of 2 years’ experience

– evidence of some form of training (diploma/certificate)


For Visa & Migration, you need

– proof of English proficiency (IELTS or OET)

    – for caregivers, minimum 4.0 in IELTS General UKVI
    – for nurse aids and registered nurses, minimum 7.0 in IELTS Academic with writing min. 6.5 or OET 350 in listening reading, speaking and min. 300 in writing
    – for medical practitioners (doctors), minimum 7.5 in IELTS Academic with writing min. 7.0 or OET 400 in listening, reading, speaking and min. 350 in writing

– no criminal record – Police Clearance Certificate for Sri Lankans (see ) or National Bureau Investigations (NBI) Report for Filipinos

– TB test in an approved TB test centre

–  proof of subsistence funds such as a bank statement

  • 1270 GB Pounds for the applicant
  • add 285 GB Pounds for the spouse
  • add 315 GB Pounds for the first child
  • add 200 GB Pounds for any additional child

    Example: a family of 5 (2 parents + 3 children) = 1270 + 285+ 315 + 200 + 200 = 2270 GB Pounds

– a certificate of sponsorship. There is no paper version, it is digital

– visa application fee

For the applicant

  • 247 GB Pounds for a contract less than 3 years
  • 479 GB Pounds for a contract less than 5 years

For the spouse

  • 624 GB Pounds per year

For each child

  • 470 GB Pounds per year


Note you can apply for permanent residency after being in the UK for 5 years


You need to register with the Nursing & Midwifery Council  

You will need

  • A health reference
  • A character reference
  • Pass the Tests of Competence (ToC)
    • Computer Based Test (CBT) of multi-choice questions taken in your home country
    • Object Structured Clinical exam (OSCE) taken in the UK


You need to register with the General Medical Council 

In order to demonstrate that they possess the necessary skills and knowledge to practice medicine in the UK, you need to take the tests for Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB)

  • PLAB 1 consists of multi-choice questions and is taken in your home country
  • PLAB2 is a practical test and is taken in one of 5 UK test centres


If you are an Arts Therapists, Biomedical Scientist, Chiropodist / Podiatrist, Clinical Scientist, Dietician, Hearing Aid Dispenser, Occupational therapist, Operating department practitioner, Orthoptist, Paramedic, Physiotherapist, Practitoner Psychologist, Prosthetist / orthotist, Radiographer or Speech and language therapist, you need to register with the Health & Care Professionals Council


Once all your documents are ready, and you have paid for your visa application on GOV.UK, you’ll be directed to the VFS Global website  to book an appointment at a Visa Application Centre, so your biometric data (fingerprints and photograph) can be captured.